Looking for the geekiest way to show off your holiday spirit, or just looking for the next hackable gizmo? These new light strings, called Triklits let you accomplish either.
The secret to these color changing lights is that each orb on the string contains a red-green-blue LED. They come with an external controller that can generate 30 unique light patterns, but the real beauty of these is the USB interface option, which allows you to control the light colors of ut and sequencing from your PC. Software drivers and code samples are provided on the Triklits’ web site. Each string of lights has 24 orbs, and multiple strings can be connected and synchronized.
While not cheap at $100 per string, they are still very cool looking in action:
Forever Bright - LED Christmas Lights
- No transformers. They plug right into a 110VAC receptacle with an ordinary fused Christmas light plug.
- End-to-end connectivity. These have a plug at both ends for more decorating versatility; you can plug additional sets onto the end of the string, rather than having to start each one at an outlet like other LED Christmas sets would have you do.
-Compatible with your existing miniature Christmas light sets.
- Sets can be ordered in any solid color, including white and blue.
- A multicolor set is available which includes blue, something not found in other LED light sets.
- UL Listed flameproof bulbs - should something set one of the LED bulbs on fire (say, a broken bulb from another light set or a child playing with matches or a cigarette lighter), it extinguishes by itself.
- Rated for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Lights come with a 5 year warranty.